Pages

Wednesday 20 January, 2010

My Contribution to Keep Bangalore as Bangalore

There is a huge decrease in the number of birds in Urban Bangalore. Chopping down of trees has led to loss of habitat and loss of food for these aerial animals. When I was a small boy, there were lot of crows and sparrows in the city and I very well remember, everyday I woke up as soon as the Sparrows starts chirping, it would be some time just before 6AM. But now there are not many birds remaining in the city and saving them is our responsibility. There are many things that I do as a Citizen of Bangalore and this is one of it.


I feed more than 40 odd different kinds of pigeons and doves and 4-6 Crows and Ravens, and quench the thirst of many more birds like Mynas...

It all started on a fine sunny day when I saw a couple of wandering pigeons stopping by my house to drink water. We had cleaned our Solar Heater and there was a lot of stagnant water. That was the time I thought, what would have they done if there was no water and it was very hot that day. So I Started keeping some water for them in a small cup and they started coming regularly. Then I kept some ragi for them and they wouldn't eat that.


There were some pigeon droppings so I knew that the pigeons used to come daily and one day I put some wheat and the next day morning when I checked on it, the floor was clean. Slowly the number of pigeons increased and now I put nearly Half a Kilo of grains per day. Once in the morning and once in the evening. Now it has been more than a year and a half since these birds have started to stop at my place for food and every week I have to clean the pigeon's droppings as they are highly corrosive. They are always on time so, I try to be on time as well. Some times Kids from the Neighbourhood come to see them and it makes me feel good.


I have also spotted a Peregrine Falcon in my neighbourhood, Every now and then I see it wandering around and some times sitting in a place for a long time. Its one of the most endangered species and they generally are found in rocky regions. They are the "Fastest bird alive" they can reach up to a speed of 320Kmph in a dive. The reason this majestic bird was here is because it's staple food is pigeon. So, may be indirectly I have helped the Falcon as well.

Since I read about animals and see a lot of wildlife documentary I was able to identify the bird.

It would make so much difference if everyone does their bit to save Bangalore and the planet. You might never know, you just might help the nature more than you intend to, Just like when we harm the nature, we harm it more than we think we have harmed it, as everything is inter-related and the effects ripples to others in the ecosystem.

4 comments:

  1. Maga Keep up the GOOD work...

    save Bangalore, Save India, Save Earth, Save URself...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep up your good work Arvind.. Well written and must say good photographs too.. Birds so cute they are not even aware that someone is taking their pic..!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now a days squirrels too come and they eat the grains.

    ReplyDelete
  4. dude i like the pic which u is there at the intro, and can you keep 2 trays of water in the terrace from tom, I am also rying to do my bit!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete